Sunday, April 17, 2016

Bubble Wrap.

You're all precious little snowflakes.
A phrase my favorite teachers often uses when making jokes regarding my generation. This teacher claims that we are babied into thinking we are all the most important things ever and participation ribbons are going to get us nowhere in life. He always  goes on to say that it is not our fault though, he says its okay that is the way you were raised you do not know anything different.
To an extent, I agree with him. I think my generation is one who thinks that we are entitled to things. Things should be handed to us on a silver platter and things are never our fault.
Bad grades?
Teacher's fault.
Not an all-star athlete?
Coaching issue.
Debts are piling up thanks to college loans?
Make college free, it is not my fault I did not apply for scholarships or saved money throughout high school and college. It is not my fault that no one taught me how to be smart with my money, make them pay for my college because they did not teach me what the real world was going to be like.
I believe that the generation that I am in is going to get hit below the belt when they reach the real world. As kids, we have been wrapped so tightly in bubble wrap that nothing can harm us. No parents saying "rub some dirt on it" just hugs an kisses and a new pony. Because everything has been handed to us, why would we expect anything different when we venture out on our own? I am a junior in high school and I still know next to nothing about taxes. I can teach you the best ways to memorize things right before a test or how to suck up to your parents to convince them to say yes to something. These are very valuable skills do not get me wrong, but I am worried about what the future has in store for us all. Thank goodness mom is only a call away and we are blessed with the all-knowing thing called Google.
JSL

No comments:

Post a Comment