Sunday, April 17, 2016

Meaning.

There are plenty of words I could write in this blog that would seem unprofessional, and offend the older generations. Four letter words weave in and out of sentences as I talk to people in the hallway, even to some teachers if we are on that level of formality. If  you see someone flip someone off in the classroom, your first thought is that they were only joking with their friends. Heck, there is even an emoji for it now. Words and things that were once found offensive and inexcusable are now used in a whole new context.
I myself do not swear. My dad rarely does and he told me that it was because there are plenty of more intelligent words out there that could be used in place of them. As I went through middle and now high school and my peers around me began to expand their vocabulary in that direction, when faced with an argument they found it more difficult to get their point across using only these four letter words as their aids. I however found that an extensive vocabulary demonstated in  an argument can be most intimidating and very much useful.
Another reason why I chose not to swear is because I have to spoken with people who do and some have told me that once you start you can find them starting to slip in places when you do not intend for them to. For instance, around your parents. Now, knowing that once you start swearing, it becomes difficult to stop, I  do not understand why people who swear do not attempt to stop themselves for doing it. One of my worst fears would be me accidentally swearing in an interview, and having that be the thing that prevents me from getting the job. One slip of the tongue can cause plenty of repercussions. This can happen even when you do not curse, so adding those words into your vocabulary only gives you more danger areas to avoid.
The musical Anything Goes touches on this subject. There are so may more things that are widely accepted nowadays. There are more things you can get a way with in a proffesional setting that some may make the claim that there is no reason to filter yourself at all. This means that my whole view of never swearing is pretty pointless. Maybe the tables will turn again and the meanings of the words will be redefined, so the young and the old will be able to agree.
JSL

No comments:

Post a Comment